With a tropical monsoon climate, Vientiane experiences distinct wet and dry seasons. Understanding the weather conditions month by month will help you make informed decisions about the best time to visit. Let Indochina Voyages be your guide to freak it out an ideal time to travel to Vientiane!
Vientiane, the capital city of Laos, experiences a tropical monsoon climate characterized by distinct wet and dry seasons. The weather in Vientiane can greatly influence your travel experience, so it’s essential to understand the climate during different months. Here are the highlight also note for the weather in Vientiane by month:
- January: Pleasant temperatures ranging from 15°C to 28°C (59°F to 82°F) with dry and sunny days.
- February: Similar to January, with temperatures ranging from 17°C to 30°C (63°F to 86°F) and mostly clear skies.
- March: Beginning of the hot season, temperatures rise to 21°C to 34°C (70°F to 93°F) with occasional hot and dry days.
- April: Hot and dry, temperatures reach 24°C to 37°C (75°F to 99°F), and it’s advisable to seek shade during the day.
- May: The start of the wet season, with temperatures ranging from 24°C to 35°C (75°F to 95°F) and occasional afternoon showers.
- June: Continued wet season, temperatures range from 24°C to 33°C (75°F to 91°F), and rainfall becomes more frequent.
- July: Rainy month with temperatures ranging from 24°C to 32°C (75°F to 90°F), and it’s advisable to carry an umbrella or raincoat.
- August: Rainy season persists, temperatures range from 24°C to 32°C (75°F to 90°F), and expect intermittent showers.
- September: Transition to the end of the wet season, temperatures range from 24°C to 32°C (75°F to 90°F) with sporadic rainfall.
- October: End of the wet season, temperatures range from 23°C to 31°C (73°F to 88°F), and rainfall decreases gradually.
- November: Cool and dry season starts, temperatures range from 18°C to 29°C (64°F to 84°F), and skies are generally clear.
- December: Mild and dry, temperatures range from 15°C to 27°C (59°F to 81°F), and it’s a great time for outdoor activities.
Please note that these are general weather trends, and actual conditions can vary from year to year. It’s always a good idea to check the weather forecast before your trip for the most accurate information.
When is the best time to visit?
The best time to visit Vientiane is generally from November to February. During these months, Vientiane enjoys pleasant weather with cooler temperatures and lower humidity. The rivers are high enough to make river travel a breeze. You will feel relaxed when visiting Vientiane temples, wandering down to the Mekong riverside, and enjoying Beer Lao and the sunset on the Mekong in this cool weather.
Especially, November is the first month of the cool dry season and also the best time to visit Vientiane in particular and Laos in general. At this time, heavy rainfalls have passed, leaving the green and lush to this laid-back capital. The average temperature is around 25°C with dry conditions throughout the city.
When is the time that Vientiane often has rain?
The wet season in Vientiane is from May to October and brings increased rainfall and higher humidity. While you may experience occasional heavy showers, the rain often comes in short bursts, leaving plenty of time for exploration. The lush green landscapes during this time can be visually stunning, and hotel rates tend to be lower.
When is the hot weather in Vientiane? Is it advisable to visit Vientiane during that time?
March to April is the hot weather in Vientiane. The hot season in Vientiane is characterized by high temperatures and dry conditions. Daytime temperatures can soar, sometimes exceeding 40°C (104°F). If you can tolerate the heat, sightseeing early in the morning or in the late afternoon can still be enjoyable. It’s important to stay hydrated and seek shade when needed.
Are there any festivals or events in Vientiane worth considering when planning a trip?
Vientiane hosts several festivals and events throughout the year that offer unique cultural experiences. The most significant festival is Boun Pi Mai, the Lao New Year, which takes place in mid-April. The city comes alive with water fights, traditional ceremonies, and vibrant processions. Other notable events include the That Luang Festival and the Boat Racing Festival.
What about the shoulder seasons (March-April and September-October)?
The shoulder seasons in Vientiane can have varying weather conditions. March and April may still be hot, while September and October mark the transition into the wet season. Traveling during these periods can offer a balance between fewer crowds and more affordable prices, but it’s advisable to check the weather forecast and plan accordingly.
Maybe you will need for your Vientiane tour: Top 10 Must-see Vientiane Attractions for Laos Trip [Updated]