Thanks to the warm waters of the Gulf of Thailand with pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and vibrant marine life, Phu Quoc is a haven for snorkeling and diving enthusiasts. This comprehensive travel guide by Indochina Voyages Team will be all you need to know before delving into the fascinating sea activities in Phu Quoc!
What can you expect when snorkeling in Phu Quoc?
Phu Quoc boasts the remarkable Phu Quoc Ocean World, a marine conservation area teeming with diverse marine species. When snorkeling in Phu Quoc, you can expect to encounter a variety of colorful corals and a plethora of fish species:
- Phu Quoc island fishing grounds have 108 species of coral belonging to two groups hard coral and soft coral
- There are 135 species of coral reef fish; 3 species of migratory fish and 132 species of mollusks and many species of marine mammals that live and feed.
- In particular, in this sea, there are also rare animals such as dugongs, sea turtles, dolphins, etc.
Moreover, Phu Quoc offers numerous breathtaking snorkeling and diving spots with available services for sea sports. Some popular destinations include the An Thoi Archipelago, Turtle Island, and Fingernail Island. These locations provide a fantastic opportunity to witness an abundance of marine life, including tropical fish, sea turtles, and even reef sharks.
Phu Quoc Snorkeling and Sea Walk
For those seeking a unique underwater adventure, Phu Quoc offers two opportunities that are suitable for all ages and requires no scuba diving experience: Snorkeling and Sea Walk. With specially designed helmets that allow you to breathe naturally, you can stroll along the ocean floor while admiring the vibrant marine life up close.
Both these two activities include canoes that transfer travelers to islands for sea activities and prepared pieces of equipment to support underwater experiences. In there:
- Snorkeling: Use the mask, and dive at a depth of 2-3m to see the corals.
- Sea Walk: use more modern equipment to walk underwater and admire the stunning coral park and flora for about 10-16 minutes. You’ll join a cruise to prepare the equipment before walking under the sea.
An Thoi Islands, an archipelago off the southern tip, is where they can enjoy the more beautiful reef. Most commercial boat tours never venture further than the very top although they advertise they go there. Also, unless they have to, dive centers do not go there. More petrol means more money.
For those who are serious about snorkeling, it is highly recommended to go with a dive center rather than one of many cheap boat tours on this island. For an extra US$8, you can join a dive boat which tends to be safety-oriented and well organized. On board, you can also have a Divemaster whose primary duty is to supervise and ensure all snorkelers make it back to the boat.
Phu Quoc Snorkeling Tour
Price: ~US $52.92
This is a typical itinerary for a snorkeling tour in Phu Quoc:
- First, you’ll be picked up at your hotel then go to visit Long Beach Pearl Center.
- Then, moving to An Thoi International Port to transfer to the Speedboat.
- The speedboat will take you to May Rut Trong Island to begin the undersea journey. Once upon the Island, you’ll hear a briefing about snorkeling gear, and safety rules by a professional dive guide.
- After that, you’ll discover the 1st natural coral reefs and anemone garden to admire the incredible marine world at Phu Quoc.
- We come back to May Rut Trong Island to relax and have lunch. Besides, you also can join the seaports on the beach, such as parasailing, jet skiing, etc (all of these are optional).
- After lunch, you will have 2 options:
- Continue to snorkeling in the 2nd natural coral reefs
- Or joining the sea walking service (Optional)
- After a wonderful afternoon with various marine activities, let’s relax and back to the An Thoi Port. This is also the end of the trip!
Sea Walking Tour
Price: ~US $63.1-US $99.74
This itinerary often begins in the afternoon with a duration of around 2 hours and 30 minutes:
- First, it takes about 15 minutes to take you to the Nautilus Cruise from An Thoi Port. (This is known as the first Marine Entertainment Complex in Phu Quoc).
- Once upon the cruise, you’ll hear the safety brief before joining sea activities.
- You’ll experience walking under the sea to admire 255 types of coral and explore the outstanding Nautilus Cruise that no need to know how to swim.
- After that, you will bathe again with fresh water and say goodbye to Namaste Phu Quoc Coral Park. Cano will take you back to An Thoi Port, at the end of the trip!
Scuba Dive for Diving Enthusiasts
If you’re a certified scuba diver or looking to become one, Phu Quoc is a dream destination. Dive into the depths of the ocean and explore underwater caves, mysterious shipwrecks, and vibrant coral reefs. The island is home to several dive centers offering courses for beginners as well as guided dives for experienced divers.
Phu Quoc Scuba Dive is only recommended for those who know how to dive. You’ll be prepared with propellers, an oxygen tank and have a professional guide to go with. You will dive at a depth of 5-6m to explore the miracle undersea world. In Phu Quoc, Namaste Company specializes in all kinds of water sports, from basic snorkeling to professional scuba diving.
Boat Trip Phu Quoc
Not like the tranquil boat trip in Ninh Binh and Trang An, Phu Quoc offers boat trips that are various beach experiences and this is also the transportation for transfer to the island from the mainland. There are speedboats and wooden boats for this: Speedboats save travel time while wooden boats offer professional fishing activities using fish finders and positioning devices.
Here is an itinerary for the Fishing Tour on wooden boats:
𝟓𝐡𝟎𝟎: Pick up at the hotel and join the whole group to start the journey to An Thoi International Port.
𝟔:𝟎𝟎: The Ship leaves An Thoi Wharf. Having Breakfast
𝟔:𝟑𝟎 – 𝟕:𝟎𝟎: Trolling
𝟖:𝟎𝟎: Bottom Fishing
𝟏𝟏:𝟎𝟎: Having Lunch
𝟏𝟑:𝟑𝟎: Back to Hotel
A special thing is the Fishing Tours are organized every day in the morning or in the afternoon with a duration of about 6 hours to 8.5 hours for you to choose from:
- Morning: From 05:00 to 13:30
- Afternoon til night: From 15:00 to 21:00
Where to book a Sea Sports Tour in Phu Quoc?
There are numerous tour operators in Phu Quoc that offer snorkeling and diving tours. Here are some contacts for your reference:
|Company||Address||Hotline||Snorkeling/ Sea Walking Price||Scuba Diver||PADI Open Water Diver|
|Flipper Diving Club||60 Tran Hung Dao Street, Duong Dong District, Phu Quoc City||077 3994 924||US $25||US $110||US $380|
|Rainbow Divers||11 Tran Hung Dao Street, Duong Dong District, Phu Quoc City||091 3400 964||US $30||US $150||US $425|
|Namaste Company||An Thoi Port, Group 4, Quarter 1, An Thoi Ward, Phu Quoc City||029 7282 8888||US $63.1 (Standard)||Contact for more||Contact for more|
When is the best time to Snorkeling?
The best time to participate in snorkeling and diving activities in Phu Quoc is during the dry season, which typically spans from October to April next year. During this period, the weather is generally calm, with beautiful sunshine, with excellent visibility underwater perfect for sea sports.
A little notice that May to September often has rain. This may affect your experience when enjoying undersea activities. But if lucky, you’ll enjoy them completely at a reasonable price.
NOTE: Enjoy scuba diving and snorkeling tours in Phu Quoc in the afternoon or in the morning are both suitable. However, the afternoon is highly recommended if you prefer less crowded.
Are there any age restrictions for snorkeling and diving in Phu Quoc?
Snorkeling can be enjoyed by individuals of all ages. However, scuba diving typically requires participants to be at least 10 to 12 years old, depending on the specific dive center’s policies.
Is it necessary to know how to swim snorkel or dive in Phu Quoc?
Walking Sea does not require swim ability. While it’s advisable to have basic swimming skills, you don’t need to be an expert swimmer to enjoy snorkeling. Life jackets and floatation devices are typically available for added safety and support. However, for diving, it’s essential to have basic swimming abilities and undergo proper scuba diving training.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced diver, Phu Quoc promises an unforgettable adventure beneath the waves. Book your snorkeling or diving tour today and embark on a journey you’ll cherish for a lifetime. And don’t forget to contact with Indochina Voyages Team if you have any questions or need advice from local travel experts!
You can read more: