We have been received many questions about Vietnam visa, so we will show you how to get a visa for Vietnam. There are two different ways:
1/ Getting Vietnam Visa-On-Arrival:
All you need to do is to get Vietnam visa-on-arrival at the immigration checkpoint in Vietnam international airports. Of course, an Approval Letter has been in hands (it is said 2 days or even 4 working hours to process an Approval Letter). You can ask any Vietnam tours companies to have an online application form. The Approval letter is used to get on board and together with your passport and 2 photos to get your visa stamped at Vietnam airport.
2/ Getting Vietnam visa at Vietnam Embassy:
Before traveling to Vietnam, you can contact Vietnam embassy directly for applying for Vietnam visa. Or you can get your visa stamped at the embassy with the pre-approved letter with code (Vietnam Embassy Visa) to pick up Vietnam visa stamp at the embassy from Vietnam Immigration Department. For the purpose of tourist travels, you will need a tourist visa. Getting a Vietnamese visa is relatively cheap in comparison to any other countries. The fee is ranging from just 50 – 150 USD.
For a tourist visa, you will need to submit:
- Entry permit form (which can vary from one Vietnamese embassy or consulate abroad to another).
- Two photos (usually 4cm x 6cm or 3 cm x 4 cm)
- Your original passport
- Visa fee
- The form and the fee can vary by country, so please check directly the Vietnamese embassy or consulate to which you are applying. A business visa usually also requires a letter of support from your sponsor agency or company in Vietnam. In person, the process usually takes 2-3 days, and by mail, the process usually takes 2-3 weeks, depending on the service you use. Although times can vary considerably by embassy or consulate. If you are mailing, please note that you need to make arrangements to have your passport with visa returned to you.
For assistance, you can process your visa through a travel agency or tour company in Vietnam, with an additional fee. This is not usually necessary unless you need a visa on arrival services.
Fill in the Visa Application Form:
Some notes to fill in the Visa Application Form to get Vietnam visa. Please fill in the Application form truly and completely.
Section 1: Application Options: Choose the right Vietnam visa types & Passport details:
- Fill in your name as in your passport and separate your first name, last name and middle name.
- Select your gender
- Fill with your date of birth in Vietnamese date format: DD-MM-YYYY
- Fill in your current nationality as in your passport.
- Fill in the number of your passport with which you are applying for the visa. It should have at least 6 months of validity remaining from your exit date.
Section 2: Contact and Travel Information
- Fill in your email address with which you want to receive your approval letter.
- Fill in an alternative email if applicable.
- Fill with your date of arrival by AIR, please check out this link for a date of arrival explanation.
- Fill in your flight number. If you have not booked your ticket yet, you can leave the box blank. It is to verify that you will be arriving by air only.
- All other boxes below are optional, you can leave it unchecked.
To sum up, it’s very simple to get a visa for Vietnam. We do believe that the simple visa process also plays a great part in attracting tourists to a country. As a result, Vietnam has been doing a good job of it.
Then we would like to share common mistakes when applying for a visa to Vietnam on arrival:
No visa on arrival without applying online:
Many people think that they can get a visa directly at Vietnam international airport without applying online. That is NOT true, you may end up with delaying/ canceling your flights or waiting at the airport until the visa is approved. So, you will need to apply online for an approval letter in order to pick up your visa at Vietnam airport.
You might think it is easy to extend a visa once they are in Vietnam. However, in fact, it is not that easy, and extending a visa may be a costly and time-consuming process. So, if possible, just apply for a 3-month visa in advance instead of a 1 month one to save money on visa extension.
Spelling / Typo mistakes:
Many applicants fill in the Application form with WRONG details: full name on the passport, passport number or date of birth. Normally, that may not be a big problem; however, in some cases, they will be refused by the airline at the departure airport since the information on the letter of approval does not match those in the passport. So, make sure you enter everything correctly and carefully.
Visa on arrival at the border:
Visa on arrival works for air travel only, it means there is NO on arrival visa for overland/border crossing or sea/water entry. So, in case you DO NOT enter Vietnam by air, just make sure you have the visa in advance.
Many people think that the visa validity will start from the date they enter Vietnam, not from the date they provide, however, it is NOT. The visa validity will commence from the date you provide in advance, not from the date you will enter the country. So, just make sure that you make a clear plan of when to enter before ordering a visa to Vietnam.
IV Blogger – Nam Lucas