Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the Socialist Republic of Vietnam must first obtain a visa. But if you are from a few lucky nationalities that are exempt, things are much easier!
Who is eligible for the 15-day waiver?
Vietnam has more than a dozen international crossing points on the borders with Laos (6 crossings), Cambodia (5 crossings), and China (at least 2 crossings). And as long as you stay fewer than 15 days, as a French, Italian, German, Spanish, or UK citizen you will not need a visa to cross the border.
What if I’m not from those countries?
You can choose 1 of 2 following options to get Vietnam Visa:
- Apply for a Vietnam visa at a Vietnamese Embassy and Consulate in your countries. It is also possible to apply for a Vietnam visa in countries around Southeast Asia, however, expect some procedures and restrictions.
- Apply for Vietnam Visa On Arrival (visa picked up at Vietnam International Airports)
Vietnam Visa on Arrival
Vietnam visa online – known as Visa On Arrival is an option to pick up the visa at one of Vietnam’s major international airports: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, or Da Nang. To obtain a Vietnam Visa On Arrival, travelers just need to complete the 3 following simple steps:
- Fill in an application form online with the correct details of your name, passport number, and arrival date via the secured network to receive an approval letter. Expect 2 – 3 working days (normal service) or 1 working day (urgent service) for the processing time.
- Receive and print your approval letter and take your passport on your trip
- Fill in a simple form, present your approval letter, passport, and passport photo(s), pay a visa-on-arrival fee, and have an immigration officer give you your visa stamp and entry visa upon arrival at one of these airports.
What if I want to travel Vietnam for longer?
If the length of stay in Vietnam of a citizen from Kingdom of Great Britain, Republic of France, Republic of Italy, Federal Republic of Germany, and the Kingdom of Spain is LONGER THAN 15 days, a Vietnam Visa is required. For visits of up to 30 days, you can get an e-visa online before you travel. For visits of longer than 30 days, please apply for a tourist visa before you go.
With 3,000 kilometers of tropical coastline, beautiful bays, large coffee plantations, exquisite food, and fascinating culture, Vietnam – a small gem in Southeast Asia has a lot to offer. How can you fully enjoy your travel to Vietnam? The first thing is to know how to apply for a Vietnam visa!