Weather is one of the most important factors when you are considering traveling to a country. Like many of the tropical countries, Vietnam can be visited all year around; as each season has its own signature and wonderful places to visit. The beautiful rice terraces in Northern mountainous area in the summer, the stunning sunset flickering behind the hundred-thousand-year-old limestone karts in Halong Bay in fall, or Da Lat with 4 seasons a day – all make up a gorgeous Vietnam where you can visit anytime you can book a cheap return flight. A lot of travelers decide to come to Vietnam in the most important holiday of the year – Christmas and New Year; as this may be once in a life time trip. So let’s see what you should expect for Vietnam weather in December.
Top places to visit in Northern Vietnam
Northern Vietnam weather in December
December is in the winter season in the North with little rain expected and average temperature of 19-22 degrees Celsius. So it is basically completely dry during this time, considered as the driest month of the year. In the northern mountainous area such as Sapa, it gets much colder, frosty, snowy in the recent years, especially in the early morning or evening. So warm clothes are mostly recommended when you plan to travel in this region.
Suggested North Vietnam tours
- Tonkin Elegance 8 Days
- Adventure The Winding Northwest 7 Days
- Exclusive Trip Pu Luong To Ninh Binh 4 Days
- Explore Unfold Hagiang 5 Days
Top places to visit in Central Vietnam
Central Vietnam weather in December
Whilst conditions undoubtedly start to improve in central regions with a significant drop in rainfall, stormy weather is still a possibility especially early in December. More rainfall is expected in Hue than in Hoi An while throughout the region temperatures are close to their lowest for the year, although still far from chilly with average temperature of 24 degrees Celsius. Hoi An has some lovely beaches such as Cua Dai and An Bang beach, it is super beautiful with blueish water and white sand. However in this season, because of the rain, the water is not as blue and crystal as normal but turbid with strong waves – not ideally for swimming.
Plus, if storms come, there is chance that the ancient street would be flooded. All of the stores are closed since the flood water spill into their house and they have to move to their relatives’ house to live. But no worry, if you travel in Hoi An this time, you can have opportunity to visit around the old town by a small sampan rowed by local people. What an cool way!
Towards the south, Nha Trang will be seeing rainfall, although this steadily declines through the month. This is also a good time for couples who like to have romantic and luxury honeymoon on cruise. The Emperor Cruise offer an all-inclusive overnight cruise with butler service – one of the most luxurious boats with such an interesting itinerary for 2 days 1 night. In Da Lat conditions remain excellent with dry, clear sky. It is famous for the title “4 seasons a day” – misty in the morning, hot and sunny from around 10 am, cool afternoon and cold in the evening.
Suggested Central Vietnam tours
- Classic Central Vietnam 5 Days
- Hidden Beauty Central Vietnam 6 Days
- Da Nang Luxury Beach Vacation 4 Days
Top places to visit in Southern Vietnam
Southern Vietnam weather in December
It does not rain much in December thus welcome the perfect weather – dry, blue sky, sunny for beach break. Since it is not as hot as the rainy season (May to October), all is pleasant to wander around the city sightseeing & monuments. Phu Quoc is a hot spot for December because people tend to relax and enjoy the Christmas’s Eve and New Year on this beautiful island. So take time to choose the far away beach which is purely, clean and out-of-the-crowd.
Suggested South Vietnam tours
- Southern Vietnam Discovery 6 Days
- Southern Vietnam & Cambodia Discovery 13 Days
- Feel The Mekong 1 Day Tour
Beside the weather, there are some important notes that you need to consider while booking your Vietnam tours in December:
- Vietnamese have national holiday for a couple of days in the beginning the year so they tend to come back home to gather with their family. It means that it is less crowded less vehicles, less people in the big cities such as Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. And also more crowded in the beach cities such as Da Nang, Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, etc. as there are still some people who like to travel during this vacation with their friends and family.
- Many Phu Quoc hotels & resorts offer the long-stay promotion rate (for example stay 4 nights pay 3 nights), many more travelers would love to be here. Also, there are some resorts only accept booking with at least 3 nights stay.
- Almost all the hotel require a fee for the compulsory dinner/party in the Christmas’s Eve or New Year’s Eve. It generally starts from US$70-80 per adult, children under 10 years old can have a discount of 50%. So make sure to ask the hotel about this.
- Book the table in your favorite local restaurant in advance or ask your travel agent to do it since all famous ones can be sold out quite soon especially for the Christmas’s Eve and New Year’s Eve.
So in general, if you ask what Vietnam weather in December like is, I reassure that December is one of the ideal months to see the most beautiful Vietnam. Let’s plan and book now with us – Indochina Voyages to make sure all things are in place before it is fully booked.
Daniel Nguyen – Travel Specialist